"Air Track Collisions Lab" Courseware
Download the free physics courseware module using MATLAB and Simulink.
Air Track Collisions Lab
This interactive module explores one-dimensional collisions using a virtual air track model. Virtual air track models include elastic collisions, inelastic collisions, and a cart with hanging mass. These materials are designed to be flexible and easily modified to accommodate a variety of teaching and learning methods. The live scripts include background, pre-lab, virtual experiment using interactive models, and data analysis sections.
- Compare inelastic and elastic collisions
- Use conservation laws to predict motion after collision
- Measure the velocities of carts using photogate readings
- Compute momentum and energy from experimental observations
- Assess conservation of momentum
- Assess conservation of energy
Have any questions or feedback? Contact the MathWorks online teaching team.