"Virtual Measurement of e/m Lab" Courseware
Download the free physics courseware module using MATLAB.
Virtual Measurement of e/m
This interactive module follows J.J. Thomson’s landmark experiment to measure the charge-to-mass ratio of the electron, e/m. These materials are designed to be flexible and easily modified to accommodate a variety of teaching and learning methods. The MATLAB app is a virtual reproduction of the e/m apparatus and allows students to conduct the experiment virtually.
- Explain the forces present in the experimental apparatus
- Derive the physical relationships required to compute the e/m ratio
- Estimate the value of e/m
- Compute the experimental error and discuss its sources
- Relate the underlying theory to mass spectrometry
Have any questions or feedback? Contact the MathWorks online teaching team.